The Golden Gate or Herod's Shushan Gate
During the time of the First Temple, the Eastern Gate was the main entrance into the Temple area. It was also the gate that Jesus entered on a humble donkey in His triumphal entry. The Golden Gate (Eastern Gate) in the eastern wall of Jerusalem gave access to the courtyards of the Temple from the Kidron valley. The Jews believed that the Messiah would enter the city here. For this reason (and certainly also for strategic reasons) the Arabs walled up the entrances and also laid out a cemetery in front of the gate.
Dung Gate and Tanners' Gate
This winter's abundant rains -- and snow -- left a display of wildflowers next to Tanners' Gate.
Below the gate is the 5th century Cardo and above, walls built in the time of Suleiman the Magnificent.
Tsahal's patrol in the Cardo
St Stephen's or Lion Gate
This gate is so named because of the tradition that the first Christian martyr was stoned outside this gate. However an earlier tradition locates this execution north of the city. Lion Gate is another name for this eastern entrance into the Old City because of the four animals that decorate the gate's facade and reportedly placed there because of a dream of the builder Suleiman.
The gate known as "Jaffa Gate" opens on the road leading to the port at Jaffa on the Mediterranean Sea. In Arabic it is called "Bab el–Khalil, "the Gate of the Friend." It is a reference to Abraham called "the friend of God" (Isaiah 41:8) and from here the main road heads south to Hebron — the burial place of Abraham. The pedestrian entrance to Jaffa Gate, a pointed–arch entrance, is on the left side. To the right of center, a minaret is called "David’s Tower." This of course is a misnomer. Most of the visible towers and walls date to the Ottoman Period (A.D. 1517– 1917), while the minaret itself dates back to ca. 1655.
The largest and most splendid of the portals is Damascus Gate. It was built in 1542 by the Ottoman ruler Suleiman the Magnificent in the surrounds of the old city of Jerusalem. This wall is the largest and most splendid of all the other walls. It is located on the wall’s northern side. Parts of this charming higher, imposing wall are built with massive stones that date back to the time of Herod. The wall is pierced by 8 gates - seven are open and one is closed. Until 1887, each gate was closed before sunset and opened at sunrise.
Located on the wall's northern side, the gate is adjacent to ruins attesting that this has been the site of the city's main entrance since ancient times. Its defenses include slits for firing at attackers, thick doors, and an opening from which boiling oil could be spilled on assailants below.
On a snowy winter day...
Herod's gate was closed until the late 1800's. It is decorated with a roselike design, and was named due to a mistaken identification of a church nearby as the home of Herod Antipas.