Kafr Kanna - Pâques 1985
For the last 1400 years at least, Christians have remembered the first miracle of Jesus at a village called Cana, low on the northern slope of the Nazareth ridge. There are three churches. The largest is Franciscan, built on the ruins of a building (synagogue?) from the 4th or 5th centuries AD, when one of the 24 major divisions of Jewish priests lived here. In the middle aisle below a glass panel, we can see a mosaic inscription from this building mentioning a donor. The monks show a jar revered as one of the six that held the water-become-wine. The Greek Orthodox across the street show another two. To the north is the Greek Catholic church of Nathanael, who hailed from Cana.
Nearby, in Anwas (Emmaus) in the vicinity of Latrun, ruins of a Byzantine church.