25/11/2005

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre under restoration (1997)

 

This structure preserves the location of Christ's tomb.  Though the cave here was carved away by a Muslim ruler 1000 years ago, a clear history remains that this has been the revered location of the tomb.  Al-Hakim's efforts to destroy the tomb (and Christianity) in 1009 were not the first.  

Earlier the Roman emperor Hadrian erected a large platform of earth over the whole area for the construction of a temple to Venus.  Jerome adds to Eusebius' statement that a statue of Jupiter was on the site for 180 years (140-320 A.D.)  When Constantine converted the empire to Christianity, he had the pagan temples dismantled, the earth removed and a church built over the spot.

 

 
 
 

The comments are closed.