Mount of the Beatitudes - new church
Father John De Ridder offering Holy Mass on the Mount of the Beatitudes in the new church built in 1937. It is constructed of local basalt. For the arches white stone from Nazareth was used, and Roman travertine for the pillars. From the arcaded ambulatory around the octogonal building there is a magnificent view of the Sea of Galilee. The eight sides of the church are each dedicated to one of the Beatitudes which Jesus pronounced at the beginning of the Sermon (Matt 5, 3-10). The dome symbolises the ninth beatitude (11-12).